From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 12 2010 - 16:43:46 CDT

If you just wanted to display atom-atom distances, this is a
built-in feature. If you want to display time-varying
residue-residue distances, you'll have to write a short bit of
script. It's really not that hard, and it's worth your time to
learn how to do basic scripts like this. Effectively, the script
would contain a single routine that deletes any existing label,
then draws a new one by computing the center of mass or some other
weighting for each of the two residues, and then draws a line connecting
the two COMs, and a text label with the value. To compute the COMs,
you would create an atom selection for the two residues, then use
a variant of the command "measure center weight mass" ... to compute
the cartesian coordinates for each residue. From there, you'd draw
the line and the text. I think you'll find several of the example
scripts in Axel's CPMD/VMD tutorial useful to learn from:
  http://sites.google.com/site/akohlmey/redirect