From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue Jun 22 2010 - 08:45:15 CDT

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 9:34 AM, Yangyang Shen <yyshen_at_rci.rutgers.edu> wrote:
> Hi, thanks for your help.
>
> VMD prints the following message .. Info) Multithreading available, 4 CPUs
> detected.
> Info) Free system memory: 2047MB (100%)
> Info) OpenGL renderer: Intel(R) HD Graphics
> Info)   Features: STENCIL MDE CVA MTX NPOT PP PS GLSL(OVF)
> Info)   Full GLSL rendering mode is available.
> Info)   Textures: 2-D (4096x4096), 3-D (256x256x256), Multitexture (8)
> Info) Spaceball driver not installed.  Spaceball interface disabled.
> Info) No joysticks found.  Joystick interface disabled.
> Found 68 plugins or data handlers in directory
>        'C:/Program Files/University of Illinois/VMD/plugins/WIN32/molfile'.
> vmd >
>
> My system has more than 100K atoms, and I was able to view the trajectory on
> my old computer (maybe it has better graphics chip from NVIDIA).

even an aged and underpowerd nvidia chipset
will outrun intel chipset graphics.

> I really hope the new Intel i series CPUs have an OK graphics integrated.
> Could you advice me how to check and fix what might be misconfigured?

i don't think that there is much you can do.

i have intel graphics in my laptop(s) and nvidia
on my desktop. i start vmd on my laptop only
occasionally to reconfirm how crappy the chips
and the (linux) drivers (still) are.

these days it seems that all that matters is to
have the composite extension work ok and
sufficient graphics to browse the web (which
has no popular site requiring full and fast opengl
support in any case).

sorry,
    axel.

--
Dr. Axel Kohlmeyer    akohlmey_at_gmail.com
http://sites.google.com/site/akohlmey/