From: Dr. Daniel James White PhD (dan_at_chalkie.org.uk)
Date: Fri Jun 13 2003 - 03:38:01 CDT

Hi John,

I had no problems with redhat7.3,
I think it started happening when I upgraded to RH8 and reinstalled the
Xig summit Xserver.

I dare not upgrade to RH9 yet, keep hearing about problems!

> Dear Dan,
> Sounds like you've found a bug in the implementation of stereo in the
> OpenGL drivers on your machine. Can you email us the startup text that
> VMD prints on your machine? i.e.:

heres my start up output

Info) vmd for LINUX, version 1.8 (December 9, 2002)
Info) VMD WWW Page: http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/
Info) Please email all comments and bug reports to vmd_at_ks.uiuc.edu
Info) The authors request that any published work which utilizes
Info) VMD please include the following reference:
Info) Humphrey, W., Dalke, A. and Schulten, K., `VMD - Visual
Info) Molecular Dynamics', J. Molec. Graphics 1996, 14.1, 33-38.
Info) -------------------------------------------------------------
Info) Multithreading available, 1 CPU detected.
Info) OpenGL renderer: RADEON 8500/AGP/SSE
Info) Features: STENCIL STEREO MSAA(4) RN MTX TCM
Info) Textures: 2-D (2048x2048), 3-D (256x256x256), Multitexture (4)
vmd >

> One thing you may wish to try would be to run one of the last test
> versions
> of VMD 1.8.1 with the "VMDPREFERSTEREO" environment variable. Its
> possible
> that the XiG drivers are having problems because VMD wants _both_
> antialiasing
> as well as stereo. The "VMDPREFERSTEREO" variable in the new versions
> gives
> you a way to make less VMD slightly less agressive in its use of OpenGL
> features, it only asks for stereo when that variable is set, so it
> avoids
> some problems people have had with PC video cards and their drivers.

Is the 1.8.1 linux version a beta test it is it now a full release?

And will the new OSX version have the simulation option in the graphics
dialog so I can do/see IMD with it?
I have 1.8.1 beta8 OSX at present.

cheers

Dan

> Dr. Daniel James White BSc. (Hons.) PhD
Cell Biology
Department of biological and environmental science
PO Box 35
University of Jyväskylä
Jyväskylä FIN 40014
Finland