From: Ajasja Ljubetič (ajasja.ljubetic_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Mar 12 2010 - 08:22:40 CST

Dear VMD users,

while starting up VMD I get the following error

Info) Creating CUDA device pool and initializing hardware...
CUDA error: out of memory, line 91

GPU-Z reports that about 200 MB of the 1024 MB are available on the GTS 250
before I run VMD. Afterwards there is no significant change in memory
allocation.
The problem goes away if I turn the AERO interface (GPU-Z reports only 32 MB
of memory allocated).
I have installed the newes CUDA drivers (190.38), but the problem persists.
As soon as AERO is active I get the out of memory exception.

Does VMD really need more than 800 MB to function or is the error somewhere
else?

Best regards,
Ajasja Ljubetic

Failed to find registry key.
Info) VMD for WIN32, version 1.8.7 (August 1, 2009)
Info) http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/
Info) Email questions and bug reports to vmd_at_ks.uiuc.edu
Info) Please include this reference in published work using VMD:
Info) Humphrey, W., Dalke, A. and Schulten, K., `VMD - Visual
Info) Molecular Dynamics', J. Molec. Graphics 1996, 14.1, 33-38.
Info) -------------------------------------------------------------
Info) Multithreading available, 4 CPUs detected.
Info) Free system memory: 2952MB (72%)
Info) Detected 1 available CUDA accelerator:
Info) [0] GeForce GTS 250 16 SM_1.1 @ 1.85 GHz, 1024MB RAM, OIO
Info) Creating CUDA device pool and initializing hardware...
CUDA error: out of memory, line 91
Info) OpenGL renderer: GeForce GTS 250/PCI/SSE2
Info) Features: STENCIL MDE CVA MTX NPOT PP PS GLSL(OVF)
Info) Full GLSL rendering mode is available.
Info) Textures: 2-D (8192x8192), 3-D (2048x2048x2048), Multitexture (4)
Info) No joysticks found. Joystick interface disabled.
Found 68 plugins or data handlers in directory
        'C:/Program Files/VMD/plugins/WIN32/molfile'.