From: Irene Newhouse (einew_at_hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Mar 02 2010 - 13:51:25 CST

I've got Desmond trajectories in which one of the monomer units of a dimeric protein wraps. I can still align on each monomer & get backbone RMSD values for each monomer, but I'd also like to analyze whether the dimer is stable or drifting apart.

So I found the web references to the pbctools plugin. I used the initial frame to determine values for a, b, & c, using the measure minmax command, and set the cell with pbc set "64.4 96.3 99.2" -all . Note that the use of "" is not shown in the documentation, but not using "" resulted in pbctools errors. Then I pbc wrap -sel "protein or resname HEM or resname ACT" -all . The result is disappointing - VMD does a lot of work, but the dimer is not reconstituted. Instead, there are anywhere from 2 to 4 segments of protein. They are distributed differently from the original, but they're still not in closest proximity. Frame 0 contains the unwrapped protein, while most of the other frames are wrapped; I don't know if this might be contributing.

Thanks for your help!

Irene Newhouse

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/201469230/direct/01/