From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Wed Jan 06 2010 - 07:41:05 CST

On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 5:32 AM, maria goranovic
<mariagoranovic_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using VMD v. 1.8.6 to load up a trajectory of ~ 1.2 GB on the VMD GUI
> on my linux box which has 4GB memory, and a 512 MB Nvidia card. VMD hangs
> up, and freezes the entire system. Any ideas why this should happen ? VMD
> also slows down considerably when I load up such large files. Any ideas or
> solutions?

hi maria,

you are failing to provide important information, so it is
impossible to provide useful help.

what operating system are you using? what archiecture (please
note that x86_64 cpus can run both 32-bit and 64-bit OSes and
applications)? what _else_ is running on that machine?
how much swap space do you have configured and how much
is used? is the disk active when the machine "freezes"?

what type of trajectory file are you loading and how many atoms
per frame does it have? can you load a smaller chunk of it?

cheers,
    axel.

--
Dr. Axel Kohlmeyer    akohlmey_at_gmail.com
College of Science and Technology