From: Burak Cankurtaran (Burak.O.Cankurtaran_at_alumni.uts.edu.au)
Date: Tue Dec 29 2009 - 05:41:23 CST

Hi,

I'm trying to visualise the dna structure 3GBI from the protein databank.
VMD shows only one of the dna strands, while there are three all together.
When I view the strucutre using the jmol viewer on the protein databank site,
there is an option to show each model separately or all 3 models at once.
I have no experience with the PDB file format, but the 3 models seem to correspond
to the three dna strands within the one pdb file.

How can VMD show the full structure?

Also, I have no experience with biological molecules either. I'll will want to
relax the geometry at a later stage. So, VMD has an option to add water
molecules surrounding the structure. Are the water molecules placed
in a random fashion or are there smarts built into the method? If
I did relax the geometry, will the water molecules and the structure
be close to a minimum?

Thanks
Burak

UTS CRICOS Provider Code: 00099F
DISCLAIMER: This email message and any accompanying attachments may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, do not
read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or attachments. If
you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately
and delete this message. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender expressly, and with authority,
states them to be the views of the University of Technology Sydney. Before
opening any attachments, please check them for viruses and defects.

Think. Green. Do.