From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed May 07 2003 - 11:09:12 CDT

Dear Chuan,
  Adding support for Wavefront .obj output is on our work plan, but
we don't have an exporter for that format written yet. If you are in
a hurry, then perhaps the best thing would be to use a commercial
geometry translator package like PolyTrans:
  http://www.okino.com/conv/conv.htm

I've never used PolyTrans personally, but I know its popular among
3-D artists etc for converting model file formats, and it supports
several of the formats VMD generates:
  http://www.okino.com/conv/filefrmt.htm

If you're willing to wait a bit, we might be able to give you a
test version of VMD with a new Wavefront OBJ exporter feature in
a few weeks. Let me know if this interests you. In any case,
there are undoubtably other ways to convert VRML 1/2 files to OBJ,
but I don't have any other great suggestions off the top of my head.

Thanks,