From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Wed Sep 09 2009 - 09:17:55 CDT

tom,

it would be _really_ helpful to have more information
instead of more speculation.

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 5:55 PM, Thomas C. Bishop<bishop_at_tulane.edu> wrote:
> The problem appears to be w/ the nvidia drivers and possibly

how do you conclude that?

> permissions on
> /dev/nvidia*
> devices

permissions should only matter, if you boot your machine into text
mode and then launch X via startx.

> Everything works fine for root but not others.

so there have to be error messages. how about desktop effects?
are they enabled/disabled.

> This is something that's popped up before w/ nvidia drivers that I
> thought was resolved but seems like however I installed then in
> SuSE11.1 did not do the trick.

please explain in more detail the procedure. if you previously installed
drivers "manually", you first have to uninstall them, to be able to
use the system scripts to install drivers "indirectly". otherwise you
may have a completely botched installation. the best step at the moment
is probably to try undo the nvidia driver installation completely,
use the rpm --verify option to check the integrity of the rpm based
installation, clean up or overwrite the suse packages as needed,
and then, after it is working again with the native drivers, reinstall
the nvidia driver through the OS. with software that is not package
manager maintained, it is extremely easy to shoot yourself into the foot.

cheers,
   axel.

--
Dr. Axel Kohlmeyer    akohlmey_at_gmail.com
College of Science and Technology