From: Ondrej Marsalek (ondrej.marsalek_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon May 18 2009 - 04:45:39 CDT

Dear everyone,

I have read the following recently here on the mailing list, by Axel
Kohlmeyer:

> i had to take a deeper look into the python support code in VMD a
> while ago and was puzzled to find effectively 3 different levels or
> types of an API that can be compiled and used all at the same time
> (with some tweaks) and there is now even the option to compile VMD as
> a python module to be incorporated into other interpreters (it works,
> i have been able to do so with the HOOMD code).

That sound very interesting to me, apart from HOOMD I think that ASE
would have good use for it and perhaps some other projects. As I am
doing my own build of VMD anyway (because I need/want to use my platform
python), this should not be a problem. Could someome please point me to
some instructions or at least hint at where to start looking in the
code?

And just a quick question - does that module also include the graphical
interface, or is it only the text version?

Thanks a lot,
Ondrej