From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_cmm.chem.upenn.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 20 2009 - 08:56:12 CST

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009, Ramon Crehuet wrote:

RC> Der VMD users,
RC> I've recently installed VMD on an Opensuse 11.1 box with an ATI HD 2400
RC> card using the ATI driver.
RC> When I open the VMD, the OpenGL window (where molecues are displayed) is
RC> transparent. I see the background windows. When I move the molecule then
RC> it shows its content, flickering. Has anybody encountered this problem?
RC> It is really annoying!

ramon,
this looks very much like a driver bug. if that is
the case, VMD cannot do much about it. you could
try dropping down to minimal OpenGL support by setting
the VMDSIMPLEGRAPHICS environment variable to 1.

please see the linux release notes for more details.

since you do have a problematic machine, it would be
interesting to see, how the latest alpha version binaries
perform. have a look at the recent postings about them
and how to get them.

cheers,
   axel.