From: B. Bennion (bbennion_at_u.washington.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 06 2003 - 13:23:01 CST

Hello Margaret and other who may be interested,

>>gimp test.gif

This will start gimp and load the image file automatically

With the mouse on the image righ-click
you want to click on the menu option "Select"
within that new menu near the bottom is "Select by color" click this,

then with the mouse select the background of your image
at this point another window will open and will contain an outline of the
image you are working on

in this same window a selection box exist with a little button labeled
"inverse" click on this

now you have selected everything not the color of the background --your
protein

right-click on your mouse again and select the "edit" menu
then select "copy"
then select "paste as new"

a new window will appear with your selected image in it. The background
will be a checkerboard

Save this as a tiff file. Other formats won't work such as jpg gif png
That should be it..
If you have questions just ask
Brian