From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_cmm.chem.upenn.edu)
Date: Sat Jun 07 2008 - 12:47:19 CDT

On Sat, 7 Jun 2008, Alexandre A. Vakhrouchev wrote:

AV> Hi!
AV>
AV> To which point of molecule does dipole moment corresponds? I'd like to
AV> get angle between dipole vector and axis of nano channel, so should I
AV> take geometric center of molecule or weighted one?

the dipole vector of a molecule has no reference point
(it is not a "point dipole") as its value is by definition
translationary invariant.

thus your choice of center can be to your liking.
for the dipole monitor plugin, i chose the geometric
center (for simplicity since it does not depend on
additional information to present and/or correct).

cheers,
    axel.