From: Francesco Pietra (chiendarret_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Nov 15 2007 - 09:50:36 CST

I started again from scratch. If you are so kind again to have a look at ...

(1) Created membrane.pdb and membrane.psf with membrane plugin.

(2) Inserted myprotein.pdb into the membrane, centered, and saved
protein_aligned.pdb.

(3) Loaded protein_aligned.pdb to VMD and created protein.psf using
Extensions...Modeling...Auto PSF Builder (choosing Amber type). This created,
inter alia, protein_aligned_autopsf_tmpfile.psf.

Sitting in the working directory:

(4) vmd -dispdev text < combine.tcl | tee combine.log

Error: could not open protein.psf.

(5) Boldly, renamed protein_aligned_autopsf_tmpfile.psf protein.psf.

Now
(6) vmd -dispdev text < combine.tcl | tee combine.log
went to completion, through a series of warnings (see please attached
combine.log).

I can display the created protein_mem.pdb (also loading protein_mem.psf as a
trial), getting uniform view. Unable to distinguish the protein (which is in
the latter part of the protein_mem.pdb file).

I wonder whether this is simply a problem of commands with VMD or, more likely
from not having treated protein_aligned.pdb adequately. The protein model is
constituted of a tetramer, each comprising two alpha-helixes, a pore protein,
and a filter. I wonder whether I used the psfgen plugin correctly or should
have made the protein_aligned.pdb into sections.

Thanks
francesco