From: B. Bennion (bbennion_at_u.washington.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 11 2002 - 00:40:52 CDT

Hi Eric,

VMD at present does not have its own ability to read in coordinate files
in any xyz format. VMD relies on BABEL which is a program that translates
a host of file formats to something VMD can understand. The download
notes mention the fact that BABEL is needed.
Check out
http://smog.com/chem/babel/

to see if molden xyz files can be read by babel.

>From the format you show below, VMD is not going to be able to read it
without some kind of file that explains what residues the atoms belong to.

Email me directly if you have further questions.

regards,
Brian