From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 16 2002 - 11:04:51 CDT

Hi,
  Surf uses the atom radii passed to it by VMD. VMD gets the
atom radii from whatever file you have loaded, and in absence of
this information it uses a heuristic to guess the atom radii based
on the string names of the atoms. If you're curious, I can send you
the Surf docs so you can read about it more. Let me know if you want
me to send them to you.

Thanks,