From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue May 14 2002 - 10:11:44 CDT

Dear Akemi,
  Do you have a ".vmdrc" file in your home directory, or in
the directory where you are running VMD? A zero-length .vmdrc
file can cause that problem, as the user-provided .vmdrc file
overrides the one in your installation area (i.e. /usr/local/lib/vmd)
The .vmdrc file provided with VMD contains several default commands,
one of which is "manu main on". You can either put this in your own
.vmdrc file, delete your .vmdrc file, or you could even type
"menu main on" in your VMD console. Let us know if you need more help.

Thanks,