From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 17 2000 - 09:16:16 CST

Hi,
  Have you tried running MSMS on a small molecule to see if the
problem is related to the size of your molecule? There is a known
problem with the interface between VMD and MSMS that can cause it to
fail when generating surfaces for large molecules, or on slow machines.
We've been working on improving the VMD/MSMS interface recently, and this
should be fixed once and for all in VMD 1.5. What kind of machine are
you using by the way? We are planning on making the first pre-release
version of VMD 1.5 available today. You might try this new version with
your same MSMS 2.4.x binary and see if it works better, we have already
made various improvements to the MSMS interface code in this pre-release
version, but there's still more to be done before VMD 1.5 is finished.

Thanks for your patience,

--
Theoretical Biophysics Group   Email: johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu
Beckman Institute              http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/~johns/