From: Timm Essigke (essigke_at_chemie.fu-berlin.de)
Date: Mon Feb 21 2000 - 12:12:44 CST

Hi,

I would like to set up a remote connection to VMD from a JAVA or PERL
script.

It works with two VMD instances as described in the handbook (after some
modifications on the external.tcl script etc. with TCL-DP 3.2).
Unfortunately RPCs are not supported (? or not free) by the mentioned
languages. I failed to install TCL-DP 4.0b2 which should support normal
TCP connections.

Is there a easy way for connecting to VMD via TCP?

(I'm not a TCL expert. I found this "socket" command, but don't know how
to use it. Esp. I don't know how to write the call-back function.)

If anybody could provide me with a script which sets up a TCP server and
executes every incoming command I would be very grateful.

Maybe there is an easier way ?!

Thanks!

Timm