From: Timothy Isgro (timisgro_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Sat Mar 17 2007 - 16:37:00 CDT

Hi Won-Young,
I think the simplest way to measure density is to count the number of
molecules along with the volume they occupy. For water density in a
water box, this may be done using something like:

set sel [atomselect top water]
puts [expr [ $sel num]/3 ]
    #get number of water molecules (divide by 3 since [$sel num]
gives the number of water *atoms*)
measure minmax $sel
    #get the extent of the water box (from which to calculate volume)

Keep in mind that determining volumes by which to measure density in
all-atom systems (especially as they get smaller) can be a "grey"
area, since you're dealing with individual atoms and not "bulk"
solvent. Also, for shapes which are not as simple as a water box,
you may need to do something more clever, like split the region into
different shapes (e.g. spheres) whose volume can be measured.

In addition, we also have a stand-alone program to estimate molecular
volumes. Perhaps this can be of some use.
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Development/MDTools/molvolume/

-Tim

On Mar 16, 2007, at 3:22 PM, <wahn_at_uiuc.edu> <wahn_at_uiuc.edu> wrote:

> Thank you for the information.
> Is there any way to measure the system density in VMD?
>
> Won-Young

**