From: Josh Vermaas (vermaas2_at_illinois.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 13 2014 - 09:48:33 CDT

Hi Vlastimil,

I've compiled VMD for Ubuntu and packaged it for myself as you've done,
and that isn't something I've seen before. Others have noticed that
depending on your linux installation, some characters are missing from
the system defaults (Angstrom seems to be the most common one). Have you
tried to build VMD in a non-packaged way first? Looking at the rules
file, the set directories look plausible depending on your system setup,
but I vaguely remember for instance needing to specify a version number
to pick up the appropriate header files and shared libraries (so
/usr/include/tcl8.5 instead of /usr/include/tcl, and actually specifying
a TCL_LIBRARY_DIR since the shared object wasn't in /usr/lib). The
debian package building process in my limited experience hides errors
very effectively, so if something went wrong, it won't stop dpkg from
building and making something that looks plausible as a package that is
totally broken.

I'm just spitballing here. There is nothing obviously wrong (to my eyes
at least) with your configuration, and I've never seen the error that
you report, so I'm sorry I can't be more helpful. :(
-Josh Vermaas