From: Vlastimil Zíma (zima_at_karlov.mff.cuni.cz)
Date: Wed Aug 13 2014 - 04:12:10 CDT

Hi everyone,

continuing on this issue as there is indication I'm not the only one
suffering by this problem, see
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/mailing_list/vmd-l/21361.html.

Sum up the configuration:
 * Debian wheezy (stable), using system libraries, so they're not likely to
be broken.
 * I run VMD from console on my machine.
 * Doesn't look like problem with font installation. "font families"
returns the same result for tcl shell and vmd tcl shell.
 * I don't have SCIM installed which may cause troubles.
 * All my machines run under English locales "en_US.UTF-8".

Since first error is

X_QueryColors: BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
0xff000000

I begin to suspect it may not be a problem related to fonts but rather to
the graphics in more general manner, e.g. wrong order of layers.

I tried to debug Tcl a bit and find out the errors appears after function
`::timeline::startTimeline` is finished. But this may be of course caused
by delay between window setup and its rendering.

I've published debian packaging metadata at github
https://github.com/ziima/vmd-debian. I'd be glad if anyone cares to
investigate or build the package using my metadata.
Alternatively I'm looking for somebody who compiled VMD successfully on
Debian or Ubuntu.

Regards,
Vlastimil