From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 04 2013 - 11:06:58 CDT

Hi,
  In order to run Tachyon with multi-node parallelism via MPI, you will
have to re-compile Tachyon from source code, against your local MPI
installation. Unlike POSIX threads or other parallel programming
interfaces, MPI doesn't provide binary compatibility, so in practice,
one must always recompile MPI applications from source code for every
different cluster or supercomputer MPI installation you run on.
The Tachyon binaries that we ship with VMD are not compiled with MPI
enabled due to these issues, they only use threads by default. It should
be very straightforward to compile an MPI-enabled Tachyon on your machine,
but you'll have to download the source code, edit the Make-config file
as necessary, and compile it using your local MPI on your machine.

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/