From: Payne, Christina M (christy.payne_at_uky.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 04 2013 - 12:43:56 CDT

Mish,

You are correct in that if you select the entire ring, $sel get pucker will return six equal values, which is the Cremer-Pople puckering amplitude for the ring. I would suggest selecting a single atom within your hexapyranose.

Dr. Kuttel describes how the paperchain algorithm works in her 2006 J. Molec. Graph. Model. paper, "Techniques for visualization of carbohydrate molecules." The pucker command appears to query only the amplitude, Q, though coloring is achieve by calculating all three parameters. I am not aware of an existing command to query theta and phi directly.

I have previously posted a script to the VMD mailing list to loop over a trajectory to get the CP amplitude (it's mislabeled as hrpucker).
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/mailing_list/vmd-l/18331.html

To get theta and phi, you can modify this script to select each of your six atom coordinates, every frame, and calculate the appropriate pucker parameters. Look into tcl scripting within VMD (in the user guide) to figure out how to use the script and start learning how to modify it for your use.

One final note, it is bad practice to send emails to individuals' email addresses in addition to the mailing list. This mailing list is a resource for everyone, so responses should not be lost to one user. Be patient waiting for responses.

Christy

--
Christina M. Payne
Assistant Professor of Chemical Engineering