From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 03 2006 - 11:18:45 CDT

Hi,
  It looks like you've got a TCL_LIBRARY environment variable set outside
of the VMD startup scripts. This will interfere with VMD startup since VMD
will then try to use your special Tcl directory rather than the built-in one.
Try doing this (csh syntax):
  unsetenv TCL_LIBRARY
  vmd

Let me know if that cures the problem.