From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 23 2005 - 13:44:07 CDT

Hi,
  This sounds like a familiar bug in one of the ATI video drivers out there.
You didn't specify which ATI video driver you're using, is this the X.org
driver or the ATI driver? I suspect that if you run VMD from within a
debugger, you'll find that the crash occurs inside the video driver.
Try this:
  tcsh
  source /usr/local/bin/vmd
  (quit out immediately)
  gdb /usr/local/lib/vmd/vmd_LINUX
  run
    (load the PDB file(s) that usually crash you)
    (then when it crashes..)
  where

Tell me what output you get from gdb, there's a good bet that this is
just the same ATI driver bug that a few other people have hit on the mobility
laptop graphics chips.