From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Wed Jul 01 2020 - 04:52:33 CDT

VMD is by default not an MPI parallel program, so trying to run it in
parallel on a cluster as such an application is a pointless and wasteful
operation.

VMD *can* be compiled with MPI support (but is non-trivial and has to be
done locally) and then it has extra functionality, but that must be used
*explicitly* to take advantage of parallel computing. you can also add MPI
support after the fact by compiling/loading a Tcl MPI wrapper package (like
this https://sites.google.com/site/akohlmey/software/tclmpi ), but this -
again - won't get you any advantage unless you write explicitly parallel
VMD/Tcl scripts using those MPI wrapper commands (e.g. to split per-frame
analysis across multiple VMD processes by letting each instance load a
different range of frames).

finally, a few of the built in VMD commands (e.g. measure gofr) have
multi-threading support included. those will run in parallel if multiple
cores are available, but not across multiple nodes or MPI ranks, so using
srun to create multiple instances of VMD makes no sense for that.

axel.