From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 26 2019 - 13:48:38 CDT

Patrik,
  As Axel has already stated, the best way to resolve problems like this
is to send us examples of .mdf / .car files that you're having trouble
as PDB or another format that actually loads _correctly_. That would allow
us to do detailed comparisons of how the files are parsed and how information
gets sent by the particular file reader plugins into VMD itself. Problems
like these can be very tricky to track down, and without collecting
good example cases, it's not possible to proceed further.

The emails you referenced from 2011/2012 didn't provide us with any
structures for comparison. Have you tried using OpenBabel to
convert the .car / .mdf files to something like a PDB or another
format that VMD definitely reads without any difficulties?

Since XenoView seems to have dropped out of ongoing development sometime
back in 2008 and its source code isn't available, I can't say much about
whether the files it writes are always correctly formatted or how their
structure compares with what the VMD plugins are expecting. The problem
you have loading XenoView output might be on the VMD side, but it might
also be that these files have a formatting irregularity that the carplugin
and mdfplugin implementations for VMD won't accept.

Best regards,
  John Stone