From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 12 2017 - 12:20:50 CST

Vlad,
  I just saw your more recent posting about driver problems caused
by conflicts between nouveau and the commercial NVIDIA drivers.
I assume that perhaps the problems with stereo below are/were closely
related to this? Did correcting the NVIDIA driver installation solve
the issues with stereoscopic display as well?

In general the nouveau driver is far behind where it would
need to be to be usable with VMD. I doubt that the nouveau driver
supports stereo at all, so that may explain the issues below if there
were remnants of the nouveau driver on your system when you ran the
tests described below. In any case, if you look at the /var/log/Xorg.0.log
files produced by the X server during startup, that would likely make it
clear which driver was loaded at the time, and problem(s) it had with
the display configuration.

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/