From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 24 2016 - 12:18:43 CST

Hi,
  It is possible that the issue you're encountering is caused by
mismatched coordinate units or something similar. Are your XYZ
file coordinates in Angstroms or nanometers? I would have expected
solvate to correctly delete waters close to your structure if it was
used properly and all of the units are consistent.

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/