From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 08 2012 - 22:29:26 CST

Hi,
  I concur with Axel's suggestions. The fact that the X server is
reporting an error when the OpenGL driver is queried and it the OpenGL
query routines are reporting"ErrorUnknown" for the glGetString(GL_RENDERER)
call, tells me that your OpenGL driver installation is seriously broken.

This output message from the VMD OpenGL renderer query says it all:
  Info) OpenGL renderer: ErrorUnknown

All VMD does to get that string is call a fundamental OpenGL function:
  const char *string = glGetString(GL_RENDERER);

For that to fail, the OpenGL driver must be completely inoperable.
As Axel has already suggested, I would bet that the X server updates
overwrote the NVIDIA OpenGL driver shared library files
you had previously installed on your system with new non-NVIDIA driver
files from RedHat, thereby breaking everything.