From: Ramasamy, Ellankavi (Ellankavi.Ramasamy_at_mpa.uni-stuttgart.de)
Date: Fri Sep 17 2010 - 11:43:18 CDT

Hello,

I have a rather large PDB file with more than 4million atoms.

I have an Intel Core 2 quad processor with 2.83GHz, an nVidia Geforce GT 240 GPU with 1GB GRAM

The rendering of the atoms is slow when compared to another computer that has much lesser processing power both in terms of CPU and GPU.

I came across a post that said that for larger atom structures, it is better to shift from a text-based PDB file to a binary file that could be read by
VMD much faster.

How can I accomplish this?

Thanks

Ellankavi Ramasamy
Institut für Materialprüfung, Werkstoffkunde und Festigkeitslehre
Universität Stuttgart
Deutschland