From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon May 10 2010 - 11:47:46 CDT

Hi,
  An important question that you haven't answered in your first email
is whether or not you see the word "STEREO" listed among the OpenGL
features detected by VMD during startup. In order to use quad-buffered
stereo in VMD, your driver settings have to be changed so that you
see the STEREO option appear in the VMD startup messages, e.g.:

Info) OpenGL renderer: Quadro FX 5600/PCI/SSE2
Info) Features: STENCIL STEREO MSAA(16) MDE CVA MTX NPOT PP PS GLSL(OVF)
Info) Full GLSL rendering mode is available.
Info) Textures: 2-D (8192x8192), 3-D (2048x2048x2048), Multitexture (4)

If VMD doesn't find a quad-buffered stereo-capable OpenGL visual during
the startup process, then you won't be able to use the emitter etc on your
machine.

If you're still running Windows 7, check your driver options vs. the
NVIDIA page here:
  http://www.nvidia.com/object/quadro_pro_graphics_boards.html

If you've moved to Linux, then Axel's suggestions should be fine.