From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 31 2009 - 11:38:28 CDT

Goutham,
  I've built a text-only VMD for you and placed it in the alpha test
directory for you, accessible by following the instructions here:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/alpha/

You want the file named:
  vmd-1.8.7a63.bin.LINUX.text.tar.gz

Give that a try and let me know how it goes for you.

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/%7Ejohns/>