From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 25 2002 - 15:15:22 CDT

Hi,
  Are you referring to the insightII "arc" format??:
http://instinct.v24.uthscsa.edu/~hincklab/html/soft_packs/msi_docs/insight980/formats980/File_Formats_1998.html#739217

In any case, you are correct that VMD does not currently have built-in
support for the insightII file formats. It should not be too difficult
to write a trajectory file reader plugin for VMD 1.8 if you're interested.
If you'd like to write a plugin to read these insightII files we would
be happy to provide assistance. If we had the time we'd offer to write
such a plugin ourselves, but at present we're fully occupied just to keep
up with our current committments, but I am willing to make time to help
people write plugins if they are interested. If you're curious what a
VMD plugin generally looks like, I've attached a short one to this
email for people to look at.

Here are lists of other insightII file formats:
http://instinct.v24.uthscsa.edu/~hincklab/html/soft_packs/msi_docs/insight980/formats980/Files980TOC.doc.html

Thanks,