From: Ralph Jimenez (rjimenez_at_jila.colorado.edu)
Date: Tue May 08 2007 - 22:38:01 CDT

Gentlemen,
  Thanks for your help. I opened a bash shell window where I created the .bashrc
file and linked it to .bash_profile as suggested by Dan. I then opened VMD and
ran the puts "$env(VMDMSMSUSEFILE)" command at the VMD prompt, to which it
returned "1", which I guess means the variable is found.
  However, when I select the msms drawing method from the graphical
representations, it doesn't work, and gives me this error:

sh: line 1: msms: command not found
ERROR) Cannot read MSMS facet file: /tmp/vmdmsms.u501.534.face
Info) Could not compute MSMS surface
Info) Done with MSMS surface.
RCNE SendEventToEventTarget (suom Moved ) failed, -50

  I verified that msms is in the directory where VMD starts.
Ralph