From: Francesco Pietra (chiendarret_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed May 09 2007 - 01:24:48 CDT

As a newcomer, interested in vmd for namd, before
downloading both programs I would like to get a piece
of information that I was unable (my fault) to get
from the web pages.

I would like to avoid installing vmd on the
dual-opteron(s) machine where namd code (and other
codes, in particular a qm code) are run on Debian
Linux amd64. Such machine has no graphics installed.

I would like to install vmd on a ssh-linked 32-bit
Debian i386 machine, where X and GNOME are installed.
This is the way I use other graphical interfaces, just
to avoid to slow down the 64-bit machine. That means
that I am able to slogin from either machine to the
other one (public keys), and to use any standard ssh
command, although I can't act as server because I have
a dynamic dhcp, and use static dhcp as internally
provided by the router.

Also, I am just an organic chemist, absolutely not an
expert in informatics.

Thanks for help

francesco pietra