From: Dan Wright (dtwright_at_uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue May 08 2007 - 16:58:43 CDT

You may need to have these commands in a file called .bash_profile
rather then .bashrc. bash will source one or the other of these files
depending on how it is called; to solve the problem so you don't have to
worry about it, run "ln -s .bashrc .bash_profile" to make a symbolic
link .bash_profile -> .bashrc.

Dan

Ralph Jimenez wrote:
> John,
> As you suggested, I created the .bashrc file in my home directory, then
> started VMD, then ran the puts "$env(VMDMSMSUSEFILE)" command, but VMD
> doesn't see the environment variable. It says:
> can't read "env(VMDMSMSUSEFILE)": no such variable
>
> Thanks,
> Ralph
>

> John Stone wrote:
>> Ralph,
>> I don't have a mac in front of me just now, but yes, just try
>> creating a .bashrc file in your home directory consisting of those
>> two commands. You can determine whether VMD is seeing the environment
>> variable by running this command in the VMD text console:
>> puts "$env(VMDMSMSUSEFILE)"
>>
>>> From there, try starting VMD and using MSMS once the variable is
>> set correctly.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> John Stone
>> vmd_at_ks.uiuc.edu
>>

>> On Tue, May 08, 2007 at 11:12:33AM -0600, Ralph Jimenez wrote:
>>> John,
>>> Thanks. However, I opened a terminal window and looked in my home