From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 19 2006 - 01:17:02 CST

Thanks, I very much appreciate your kind comments. It's been quite hard for
me to keep up with emails lately, particularly with the surge in spam
that manages to get through the various spam filters I have in place.

While I won't have a new release version of VMD ready before the end
of the year, I encourage interested people to have a look at the current
test version I posted in the VMD Public project in biocore (see instructions
on this page):
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/alpha/

The new version will include a new representation for displaying
electrostatic field lines, many improvements in handling of
nucleic acid structures, improved memory efficiency, use of multiple
processors to accelerate parts of the structure analysis code,
and many other things I think people will like. Give the test versions
a try over the holidays if you have time, and let me know what you think
so far. After I return I'll be working hard to finish it up and make
the new release...