From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 19 2006 - 01:10:20 CST

Hi,
  The .vmdsensors file syntax is described in the VMD User's Guide:
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/vmd-1.8.5/ug/node45.html

The CAVE trackers are quite simple, as the "place" field is "local",
the "name" field is "cave", and the device numbers for the tracker
devices are simply 0. For the button device lines, you'd list the
buttons you want assigned to that tracker. This arrangement provides
a lot of configuration capability that is actually extreme overkill
in the case of the CAVE where there really isn't that much
configurability possible by the time VMD gets wand/button events
from CAVElib.

One thing to be aware of is that with the current CAVE tracker code
(as I recall anyway) I think you only use the zeroth tracker for the grab
tool etc, due to button assignments, at least I seem to recall this used
to be the case. Other CAVE wands should display in the scene and
should be usable as pointers, but I think that the existing code
only knows how to sort out the buttons from the first wand/tracker.
I'm not able to check the code just now but I could look at this for
you when I'm back in the office if you want to modify the behavior of
the wand/button handling for your CAVE.