From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 11 2006 - 11:06:43 CDT

Hi,
  From what I understand, the native Blender .blend file format is
very version specific, changes with every release, and people suggest
you not use it directly. STL is not an appropriate format to use to
import VMD scenes into Blender as you've discovered, it's meant to be
used for Stereolithography, but not much else. What other formats have
you tried importing into Blender? If you know of a file format that
Blender supports well, I'd certainly consider writing an export module
for VMD to better support it. I would have expected Wavefront OBJ
or one of the VRML formats work ok with Blender already.

Here's a discussion of why the .blend file format isn't documented etc:
  http://www.blender.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8143&sid=ced5749c0154f65b37501dd929205166

There is now a "BlendXML" development effort in progress to make a Blender
scene file format that's usable by other software, but as far as I can tell
it's far from finished.