From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 12 2006 - 00:07:45 CDT

Marc,
  I don't know what internal geometric primitives Blender supports
other than triangles, but writing an input filter Python script specifically
for VMD (or molecular visualization in general) might be the ticket to
getting a high quality result. The idea would be to write an input filter
that works with high level geometric primitives like the ones VMD uses
internally to draw the spheres/cylinders/splines/surfaces that make up the
molecular scene. Similarly, the color and material scheme used could be
made more molecule-friendly by using a scheme in line with what VMD does
internally. Writing a scene in terms of very high level geometry would
do a LOT to reduce file size compared with emitting billions of triangles...

  John