From: Ralph Jimenez (rjimenez_at_jila.colorado.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 11 2006 - 10:32:31 CDT

It would be great to use VMD's output with an open-source 3D
modelling/animation program like Blender (www.blender.org). This program
can be used to make some fantastic images and animations, output video
files, etc. It would make a nice combination with VMD.
   I've been able to read .STL files into blender, but the other formats
do not work very well. Even with STL, the lights are not imported, and
the molecule is imported as one mesh object- no separate
cofactor/protein, for example. So my feature request is for VMD to write
Blender scene files...
  I'm curious...has anyone else tried using Blender with VMD?

--
Ralph Jimenez, Ph.D.
JILA/NIST and Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry