From: Dallas Warren (dallas.warren_at_vcp.monash.edu.au)
Date: Wed Feb 23 2005 - 16:49:33 CST

John,

>Dallas,
> Just to make sure I've got it straight:
>* VMDSIMPLEGRAPHICS works with no seg falt

That is correct.

>* VMD_EXCL_GL_EXTENSIONS with the huge list of extensions
> but no VMDSIMPLEGRAPHICS crashes.

That is correct.

>If this is correct, then the ATI driver is crashing early
>on when VMD is creating the OpenGL window, either when requesting
>multisample antialiasing, stereo, stencil buffers, or one of the
>other advanced OpenGL features. The VMDSIMPLEGRAPHICS variable
>disables all of those, so if that allows it to run, that means
>it's something during the window creation that's killing you.

So what to do other than sending ATI heaps of bad karma? ;-)

Catch ya,

Dr. Dallas Warren
Lecturer
Department of Pharmaceutical Biology and Pharmacology
Victorian College of Pharmacy, Monash University
381 Royal Parade, Parkville VIC 3010
dallas.warren_at_vcp.monash.edu.au
+61 3 9903 9083