From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 23 2005 - 16:33:17 CST

Dallas,
  Just to make sure I've got it straight:
* VMDSIMPLEGRAPHICS works with no seg falt

* VMD_EXCL_GL_EXTENSIONS with the huge list of extensions
  but no VMDSIMPLEGRAPHICS crashes.

If this is correct, then the ATI driver is crashing early
on when VMD is creating the OpenGL window, either when requesting
multisample antialiasing, stereo, stencil buffers, or one of the
other advanced OpenGL features. The VMDSIMPLEGRAPHICS variable
disables all of those, so if that allows it to run, that means
it's something during the window creation that's killing you.

  John