From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 23 2005 - 16:53:48 CST

Dallas,
  I'd send the ATI guys bug reports on their Linux driver,
as I think you're now the second person that's run into this
particular problem. Needless to say, this same window creation
code is used on ALL Unix platforms and doesn't crash on any other
card or driver, so I'd think this would be easy for ATI to fix.
If you're interested in a hacked VMD that disables the minimum
necessary to get by with this broken ATI driver, I might be able
to build you a new VMD binary that just turns off the advanced window
creation code, but leaves all the rest of the features enabled.

  John