From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri May 06 2022 - 00:11:44 CDT

Hi,
  I'm not familiar with the specific script you're using in that
tutorial, but just reading the tutorial page you referenced, it is
clear that the variable "a1" should have been set by this command:
  set a1 [vecscale $l1 $basisVector1]

You'll likely need to edit/customize the script if you're trying to
use something from a tutorial in a more general case with different
input files.

Best,

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/