From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 16 2021 - 12:34:12 CST

Hi Nuno,
  We (UIUC) can't be held responsible for installations of other software on
third party end-users computers that we've never been involved with.

What you've got there is basically an app store of a kind, managed by a
different group, in a different university, in a different country,
governed by different laws, without any of our involvement. All of those
things make it a somewhat thorny problem for the UIUC lawyers.
Even setting half of those concerns aside, I honestly think even if it
was the VMD team doing this, that they would still have strong
reservations about doing an app store because they would likely require
that UIUC somehow be indemnified for damages resulting from potentially
malicious code/apps etc.
When a user installs things themselves, they take on the task of
vetting the app/plugin/script and they bear responsibility for the outcome.

Every year, I have to sign various forms for US government export
control and for US government agencies that install VMD, that state
that it does not allow end users "automatically install" things and
that it doesn't incorporate various kinds of export-restricted encryption
etc. If it did, they would prohibit VMD from being used on those government
systems. Without going into unimportant details, while these government
users are in the minority of the VMD user community, they are important
users, and I wouldn't want to have to maintain special non-standard VMD
distributions just for them.

Nothing prevents VMD users from installing your app store plugin, or any other
third party VMD plugins for themselves, and that's fine with us.
That is the whole idea of the plugin mechanism -- to allow anyone anywhere
to write VMD plugins/extensions and share them with anyone they want.

Even aside from the special complexities of managing an "app store" that
I listed above, we don't have the manpower to personally inspect/correct
and/or maintain more than a moderate number of VMD plugins contributed
by others. I would argue that we're already "saturated" by the work
involved in keeping the existing contributed plugins running with new
revs of Tcl, Python, (MacOS!) and so on. It's natural to me that
people are distributing plugins independently of VMD and/or UIUC,
and I both hope and expect that to continue.

Best,
  John Stone

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/