From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 17 2021 - 00:30:40 CDT

Hi,
  From your description, it sounds like you've got two major
issues, one may have to do with the behavior or so-called "retina"
display support with FLTK in VMD, and the other sounds like it's an
issue with how FLTK interacts with the MacOS Big Sur "night" theme.
Can you verify that the problems with the background colors and text
go away if you set your Mac to the classic MacOS color theme?
If that cures the problem, then we at least know for sure that it's
a MacOS theme-specific issue. As for the retina display, I don't
have an immediate suggestion that would necessarily make a
difference here, so let's try the experiment with the theme change
first and I'll see if there are recent FLTK bug fixes or updates
that may pertain to the retina display support.

Best,
  John Stone

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/