From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 08 2004 - 16:48:43 CDT

Miguel,
  The existing released versions of VMD don't have any built-in features
for coloring representations by volumetric data, but if you would like to
try one a pre-release version of VMD 1.8.3 that has this capability,
let me know and I'll supply you with a test version that has this coloring
capability. If you want to use the existing versions of VMD, then the
'potsurf' script. The potsurf script works by assigning potential values
to each atom using the "beta" field, it then colors it by "beta".